Terrorism, organized crime or the environmental issues are realities of the contemporary world. Understand them, discuss them and find solutions within the „Security Studies” BA Program.
Admission Calendar 2023
Description of the BA program
The terrorism, the organized crime, the cyber threats, the environmental problems, or pandemics are realities of the contemporary world. Those professionally trained in the field of security and intelligence are at the forefront of the fight against the above-mentioned threats.
Security Studies at Babeş-Bolyai University were established in 2008 and have been subjected since then to a continuous process of improvement and adaptation to national and international standards of quality education. The program aims to prepare students and equip them with abilities that will help understanding and explaining issues of security in contemporary societies.
Content of the study program
The diversity and complexity of the study program is the result of over ten years of academic and practical experience, representing joint effort of professors and external experts working in the field. The content of the study program is inter-disciplinary.
The available courses are structured across the three years of the BA program as follows:
Year 1, semester 1
- Introduction to security and international studies
- Introduction to political science
- Security system in the history of the world
- Introduction to strategic studies
- IT applications in social sciences
- Institutions and organization for public safety
- Communication and PR
- Security and insecurity in the modern era.
Year 1, semester 2
- Theories of international relations
- Political philosophy
- Introduction to intelligence studies
- Communication and language in international relations and security studies
- Elements of forensics science
- Ethics and academic integrity
Year 2, semester 1
- Introduction to geopolitics
- Social sciences research methodologies
- International security, alliances and organizations
- Introduction to constitutional and administrative law
- Introduction to cybernetic security
- Economic security
- Introduction to open source intelligence
- History of European Integration
Year 2, semester 2
- Regional geopolitics
- Governance of security
- Critical thinking
- Fundamental issues of the contemporary world
- Documents security
- Open source intelligence
- Anticorruption politics and strategies
- Espionage and Counter-espionage
Year 3, semester 1
- Analysis of international conflicts
- Terrorism and globalization
- Classified information
- European Union’s external action
- Leadership and negotiation in the international system
- NATO and international security management
- Human rights in contemporary society
- Criminology and forensic psychology
- Public international law
Year 3, semester 2
- Romanian national security policy
- European security and the national and ethnic minorities issue
- Analysis of the unconventional risks
- Comparative public policies analysis
- Disinformation and digital communication
- Counter terrorism. Politics, strategies and tactics
What skills will you acquire?
Students will acquire both theoretical and practical knowledge essential for the field of security studies. These can be translated into the efficient interpretation and use of information within organizations, risks analysis, management of unforeseen events, development and communication of plans and projects in the field of security.
What career opportunities lie ahead of you?
After graduation, students will be able to opt for a career in those structures belonging to public institutions (Ministry of Internal Affairs, Ministry of National Defense, Romanian Intelligence Services, Foreign Intelligence Service), international institutions and organizations (UN, NATO, EU, OSCE), private companies, academia, the media or non-governmental organizations.